unitS of LANGUAGE
words. words. WORDS. Feelings. Thoughts. Emotions.

By josephine wong suk mun

I was browsing king’s page when I took notice of the books he is reading currently. There is this particular book called “Words that Work: It’s not what you say, it’s what people hear”. It struck my mind that I wanted to share this for some time now, but been too occupied with other things to do so.

While I was at cherating with the guys, we met this Canadian and had a brief dinner with him. He reminded us of something that we all know but we just never really get to do something about it. The words we speak and how people interpret them. He gave a classic example. The word: WHATEVER. I can be engage in a conversation with a friend when he or she may ask me what I think about his or her decision on a certain matter. I’ll probably answer “whatever”. At this point, this friend might be mad because I don’t sound like I care about that decision. However, from the way I see it, what I meant was simply “whatever you think its right”. Then for all of a sudden, the friend walks away from you and you have no idea what was wrong. Did that ever happen to you? I think it happen to me quite a lot whether I am the misunderstood one or the misunderstand one. Facial expressions do contribute but what if it was over a phone or the internet?

How powerful words are. They are men’s best weapon against oneself and others. I think it is simply important to think twice before saying something. Even though you might accidently say something which you shouldn’t have, asking for forgiveness immediately seems a way to undo the fault. What if the words were too hard to forgive? I don’t want to be in that situation because I simply wouldn’t know what to do. I need solutions!

 

1 comment so far.

  1. Anonymous July 25, 2007 at 10:11 PM
    its never hard to forgive.
    all you need is ALOT of sincerity in asking forgiveness.

    dont trouble yourself wondering if your forgiveness will be accepted or not, bcz that way, the element of sincerity is no longer there.

    why give yourself so many excuse..?
    why dont you try asking for forgiveness first instead of worrying of something not worth worrying?

    ask yourself which is more imp?
    a lil more effort? or a friendship?

Something to say?