unitS of LANGUAGE
words. words. WORDS. Feelings. Thoughts. Emotions.

By josephine wong suk mun
This is the scene: I walked into a nice, cozy restaurant alone. As I sat down, I saw a familiar face. Not thinking any further, I ordered one of my favourite drinks of all time: sparkling water, if that is considered a drink. I continued to enjoy the music and people passing by outside. Very soon I got into my "staring into space" mood. I was frightened by the waiter who gave me my drink and I noticed that familiar face was watching me. Awkward but do not want to be bothered, I took out a book and started reading. Next thing I know, that face is in front of me. I cringed and gave a puzzling look.

Don't you recognize me?

Erm, not really.

We used to be best of friends. We went out together, did things and spent most of our time together.

Oh. What happen then?

We grew out of each other. We both wanted different things. We no longer share the same interests. We stopped going out. Then later, we stopped all communication between us.

Now, that did not really happen. It was one of my dreams which I had some time ago. Amazing how clear it is in my mind. Probably because I remember it so well.

They say friends come and go. We need different kind of friends to help us as we grow up. I remember having this childhood friend. We were so close but when primary education started, we went different school and thus, we have different friends. There was this boy who is older than me by a year, but because he used to stay nearby, we managed to become close as in play games together, have multiple gatherings. When they shifted away, we just stopped talking. Even when we have mutual friends, we see each other, we ignore each other. Thinking back, I have no idea what was it then. I believe people around us groom us to what we are now. Things happen and it works as a reminder of how not to do the same mistakes again. I continued growing up with a lot of love around me. I have many friends but as I grew older, I realize I do not really have that many. Friendships are just like any relationships. It requires time and communication. Somehow, many left and sometimes I do wonder. Was it because of the lack of time together or we just changed.

And so what if you spend so much time together? Will it really boost up your friendship or will it just turn worse? It seems to get worse or maybe it is just me. I feel ashamed when people compliment what a good friend I am because deep down inside I know what kind of person I am. I am tired. Sometimes I do so much to preserve a friendship but in the end, I feel pointless. I am so discouraged to do beyond what I do usually. I really have no idea what is the right thing to do. Keeping as many close by to help kill time or a few that you can really talk to? Looks like the second choice is still a better choice.

So how many of my friends now will be like the one in my dream? How many of them I will be able to hold on to until... I get married, have kids... going old? That will be interesting to know.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous July 23, 2007 at 1:59 PM
    how many you asked?
    i dont know~

    i dont know myself too~
    but i know i will have ONE!
    like what you have mention in your post, its not how many you have to kill time... but who you can really talk to

    so how many you asked?
    hmm, does it still matter?
  2. Anonymous July 23, 2007 at 9:40 PM
    I think I'm quite the same way. I can connect to strangers easily it seems (and I enjoy doing it too)... but as far as maintaining relationships, I'm in terrible need of help.

    for example, i wish the ipoh geng would always be in touch too.. but gosh, sometimes i know it cant be helped that we drift somewhat apart.

Something to say?